A PROJECT OF THE County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency

Local Universities

A university differs from a community college in that it is a four-year program, usually has a broader curriculum and offers graduate and professional degrees (Master’s Degree and PhD.) in addition to undergraduate degrees (Bachelor’s Degree). Students may either start at a community college and transfer to a university or go straight to the university. When a student begins at a community college and transfers – usually after they have received a two-year degree (Associate’s Degree) – they will only need to complete two years at the university in order to receive a four-year degree (Bachelor’s Degree). Of course these are only estimations of time based on averages, some students may take more (or less) depending on individual circumstances.

San Diego Community Colleges

San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Dr.
San Diego, Ca 92182
(619) 594-5200

UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, Ca 92093
(858) 534-2230

Cal State San Marcos
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd.
San Marcos, Ca 92096
(760) 750-4000

University of San Diego,
5998 Alcalá Park,
San Diego, CA 92110  
(619) 260-4600

Call the Admissions Offices for more information about the types of programs available and for information on qualifying for entrance to each university. For general information and other topics, go to the school’s website and/or call the general information number.

Click  to see the map for CSU campuses CSU CAMPUSES Map

Other Educational Opportunities

There are many ways to continue school and learn besides college. Here are some options.

Job Corps

Job Corps offers a variety of training programs for both men and women between the ages of 16 and 24. Besides receiving vocational training, you may also continue academic studies to get your GED or high school diploma. Job Corps centers are located throughout the Western United States, with some specializing in an area of study.

You will be PAID while you are in the corps, along with receiving room and board and all your medical needs. The benefits you will receive are increased the longer you stay in the program. To enroll in Job Corps, call 1-800-246-2285 to schedule an appointment. They are located at 1325 Iris Ave. Imperial Beach, Ca 91932.

Recreation Departments

Many city recreation departments offer a variety of fun, recreational classes. These classes may include dancing, fitness, crafts, arts and many other topics. There may be a fee for taking a class. Check with your city’s Recreation Department for more information (the Recreation Department is listed under the name of the city in the phone book).

The Military

You can receive education and training in the military. Contact a military recruiter for more information. To find a recruiter near you, look in the government section of the white pages (blue section) of the phone book. Keep in mind that if you want a guarantee of receiving training for a particular job, the job should be listed in the contract you sign.

  • Air Force
  • Navy
  • Marines
  • Army
  • Army National Guard
  • Coast Guard

Vocational Schools

For schools that specialize in a specific vocational area, look under “schools” in the yellow pages of the phone book. You will find listings for business colleges, beauty colleges, contractor schools and many others.



Scholarships for Foster Youth

You can get the applications for the following scholarships on the web addresses listed below. In order to qualify for these scholarships, applicants must plan on attending a four-year University, a two-year Community College, or a vocational / technological school.

ILS Scholarship Please mail to Independent Living Skills: 7947 Mission Center Court, San Diego CA 92108 or fax: Attn: Samka Aslan at (619)767-5240  ILS Scholarship Recommendation Letter

www.faceyourfuturesandiego.org "FACE Your Future San Diego" is a registered unincorporated nonprofit association in California. They provide free college admission counseling in San Diego County to current and former foster youth and promote a college-going culture for foster youth.

www.changealife.org The Change a Life Foundation Emancipated Youth Scholarship is available to California residents who are graduating high school seniors planning on attending a four-year College or University, or former foster youth currently attending a Community College who are transferring to a four-year College or University.  High school seniors need a minimum cumlative 2.75 GPA and a minimum 1,350 SAT score. Community College students need a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for college courses. You must be economically disadvantaged, a U.S. citizen or legal resident, and be involved in extracurricular activities and community service (at least 40 hours).

http://www.sdfoundation.org - Once the application is completed, you can apply for numerous scholarships at once. However, The Daddy Long Legs scholarship is specifically for San Diego Foster Youth.

http://www.capfsd.org - The Child Abuse Prevention Foundation Scholarship is specifically for San Diego foster youth.

http://www.nfpainc.org - The National Foster Parent Association Scholarship targets all foster youth nationally.

http://www.orphan.org - The Orphan Foundation of America targets youth under the age of 25 who were in the foster care system at the time of their 18th birthday or were in the system by the time they received their high school diploma.

http://www.chafee.csac.ca.gov - The Chafee Grant Program is a first come, first served grant (there is no deadline, submit ASAP) for foster youth and former foster youth under age 22, and may be used for any college, university or vocational training program that is accredited. (This grant is formally known as the Education and Training Voucher Program-- a state voucher.)

http://www.sdcfpa.com - The San Diego County Foster Parent Association Scholarship and Education Grant. The scholarship can be used to help finance activities and supplies that will enhance your interests, talents and hobbies as well as for higher education costs. There is no specified deadline, submit ASAP.

www.alexsmithfoundation.org - The Alex Smth Foundation helps former foster youth attend San Diego State University.

http://www.fullerton.edu/guardianscholars/ - CSU Fullerton also has a program for former foster youth called the Guardian Scholar Program which accepts a certain number of foster youth every year into the college and provides a full scholarship, peer support, tutoring, and academic support. If you would like more information, contact the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman - 1-877-846-1602

Community Colleges

Community colleges are two-year colleges that offer associate degrees (two-year degree) and certificates in occupational programs that prepare students for entry-level jobs, as well as arts and sciences programs that transfer to four-year colleges and universities. If you are 18 or over, no high school diploma is needed to attend a community college. If you are under 18, you must have a high school diploma or GED. If you are still in high school, you may take select community college courses for high school AND college credit. You must have permission from your high school to do this. See your high school counselor for information and required forms.

Community colleges also have continuing education centers that provide adults the opportunity to renew their learning experiences through noncredit vocational, basic skills, life skills and enrichment classes at neighborhood locations throughout the county.

Cuyamaca College
900 Rancho San Diego Parkway
El Cajon, Ca 92019
(619) 660-4000

Grossmont College
8800 Grossmont College Dr.
El Cajon, Ca 92020
(619) 644-7000

MiraCosta College
One Barnard Dr.
Oceanside, Ca 92056
(760) 757-2121

Palomar College
1140 W. Mission Dr.
San Marcos, Ca 92069
(760) 744-1150

San Diego City College
1313 Twelfth Ave.
San Diego, Ca 92101
(619) 388-3400

San Diego Mesa College
7250 Mesa College Dr.
San Diego, Ca 92111
(619) 388-2600

San Diego Miramar College
10440 Black Mountain Rd.
San Diego, Ca 92126
(858) 536-7800

Southwestern College
900 Otay Lakes Rd.
Chula Vista, Ca 91910
(619) 421-6700