A PROJECT OF THE County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency

Tips Regarding California Grants

Cal Grants are financial aid funded by the State of California.

Apply using the GPA verification form. Some schools or counselors send them to the student aid commission for you electronically and some schools don’t. Check with your school. If your school does not submit them electronically, you can obtain the paper form from your school and mail it in yourself. NOTE: You must also submit a FAFSA to the US Department of Education to be considered for a Cal Grant.

There are several different types of Cal Grants, and each has difficult requirements for your GPA:

  • Cal Grant A Entitlement 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in high school
  • Cal Grant B Entitlement 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in high school
  • Cal Grant C No minimum GPA required

*Deadlines: March 2nd of every year

Visit the California web site or call for additional information: http://www.csac.ca.gov or call 1-888-224-7268.

General Tips for Cal Grants:

  1. Keep your information updated with the student aid commission (The student aid commission is separate from the US Department of Education. Keep your information updated with both agencies). You can update this information by calling the number listed above.
  2. You do not need to send in GPA verification every year, but you must read information sent to you from the Student Aid commission carefully.
  3. Cal Grants are awarded based on academic performance and financial need. Study hard and maintain good grades!
  4. If you earned a GED instead of a diploma, you can still apply for a Cal Grant. You must submit your GED scores, but they must be certified. Call 1-888-224-7268 with questions).