A PROJECT OF THE County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency

Other Educational Opportunities

There are many ways to continue school and learn besides college. Here are some options.

Job Corps

Job Corps offers a variety of training programs for both men and women between the ages of 16 and 24. Besides receiving vocational training, you may also continue academic studies to get your GED or high school diploma. Job Corps centers are located throughout the Western United States, with some specializing in an area of study.

You will be PAID while you are in the corps, along with receiving room and board and all your medical needs. The benefits you will receive are increased the longer you stay in the program. To enroll in Job Corps, call 1-800-246-2285 to schedule an appointment. They are located at 1325 Iris Ave. Imperial Beach, Ca 91932.

Recreation Departments

Many city recreation departments offer a variety of fun, recreational classes. These classes may include dancing, fitness, crafts, arts and many other topics. There may be a fee for taking a class. Check with your city’s Recreation Department for more information (the Recreation Department is listed under the name of the city in the phone book).

The Military

You can receive education and training in the military. Contact a military recruiter for more information. To find a recruiter near you, look in the government section of the white pages (blue section) of the phone book. Keep in mind that if you want a guarantee of receiving training for a particular job, the job should be listed in the contract you sign.

  • Air Force
  • Navy
  • Marines
  • Army
  • Army National Guard
  • Coast Guard

Vocational Schools

For schools that specialize in a specific vocational area, look under “schools” in the yellow pages of the phone book. You will find listings for business colleges, beauty colleges, contractor schools and many others.