A PROJECT OF THE County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency

High School Diploma Programs

Several adult schools offer a high school diploma program for those 18 years of age or older (or in some cases at least 16 years old and a legally emancipated minor). A diploma received through adult education is equivalent to a diploma issued by any of the high schools in San Diego County. All high school diploma candidates must pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) in addition to the academic graduation requirements.

How do I apply?

To apply, contact the nearest adult school or one of the high schools that offers an independent study program. You will need to make an appointment for an interview with a counselor and take a placement test before starting classes. Also, you will need to send for or bring a copy of your high school transcript (a record of courses you have completed). To obtain a copy of your transcript contact your guidance counselor at the last school you attended.

Will it fit into my schedule?

At the adult schools, evening and/or daytime classes may be available. At the high schools that offer independent study, you can usually arrange your schedule around your work hours if you have a job.

How much does it cost?

Most high school diploma programs are free.

What will a High School diploma do for me?

A high school diploma will open up many more opportunities for jobs, including possibilities for education and training in the military. (Some military services will only accept recruits who have their high school diploma.)

Where will I find a program?

There are adult schools in every school district. Contact a school counselor at any high school for more information on an adult school program or to arrange an independent study program. Or look online at http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/adulted/

Is there any other way to get a High School diploma?

It is possible to fulfill the requirements for high school diploma by taking classes at a community college. Contact the counselor at the last high school you attended to see if your high school will accept college credits. If this type of program were arranged, you would pay the normal fees for attending a community college. You would receive high school and college credit for the required classes and your high school would award you a high school diploma upon successful completion of your coursework. In compliance with California Education Codes, the following methods of earning credit may be used toward earning your high school diploma:

  • Previous High School Courses
  • G.E.D. Testing
  • Private School Courses (Accredited)
  • Proficiency Assessment (Foreign Language or Fine Arts Areas Only)
  • Correspondence Schools (Accredited)
  • Military Service
  • Work Achievement
  • Regional Occupational Program/Centers